Sunday 3 November 2013

Country Kitchen –a special space

Being stuck in hospital for the past month (so far) ,with a broken leg, I’ve had plenty of time to browse the many glossy magazines around the place that abound with ‘new’ kitchen ideas – most look more sterile than the laboratories I’ve worked in! Their slick lines and industrial looks did nothing for me so I thought I’d invite you into our 1870 stone cottage and my  country kitchen to share what makes it a space I love .

 

Deb's kitchen

 

Step back in time far away from those streamline, sterile modern kitchens that you see in magazines to a utility room that rather than being planned has evolved. yes some may  think it’s cluttered but it reflects our lifestyle. It is a comfy country kitchen that always have magical aromas wafting from within with the added comfort of the wood cooking stove with its pot of soup and things baking one or both the ovens  during the cold months.When we came here the kitchen consisted of a sink –too low for even me! A burnt out wood stove with a mantle piece that I hit my head on, a electric stove with one hot plate that worked and a white cupboard  with wire for handles.This cupboard once stripped and with new handles looks fantastic.The wood stove was replaced firstly with an aga and now with a thermalux complete with hot water jacket.There is also the  gas stove for warm weather cooking. The rest of the kitchen has been made out of second-hand wooden cupboards and I’ve built the shelves and things out of mainly recycled timber and things.           

Onion storageonion storage         Useful toolstools of the trade tool rack
Nut crackersnut crackers Trusty tool rack trusty tool rack The blue box was once a candle mould.
the blue box was once a candle mould

Back in 1972 I built the tool rack from directions in a book “things to do in a day”It took more like a week or so. It has travelled with me from NSW to SA and graced various kitchens along the way and now has been a main pat of this kitchen for the past 30 years and most of the tools are in regular use.

 

  Our country kitchen is the main social hub of the house, the harvest kitchen,brewing room,preserving room, a place to relax ,cook and consume delicious food and to celebrate not only special occasions but every day .

Tool always at hand.tools at hand  Home dried produce from the gardensdried produce         The bakerythe bakery
Worm glow of a wood stove is always welcoming.the stove Keeping the baby puppy and wine extra warm.keeping puppy and wine warm kitchen 006 (2) Preserving our tomato croppreserving tomatoes
Elderflower cordial elderflower cordial preserving our delicious figspreserving figs         Spring glut of eggs, no worries yummy Chinese tea pickled eggs.pickled eggs

 

Goodies from the Kitchen

Regular batches of sour dough bread.sour dough bread           Another batch of raspberry vinegar.raspberry vinegar
Celebration dinner, Roast venison with chestnut puree. roast venison with chestnut puree 
Mulberry wine in progress.mulberry wine Breakfast- poached eggs and asparagus. poached eggs and asparagus Garden vegetables ready for roasting.

vegetables ready to roast

Nirvana Farm Heathfield

1 comment:

Unknown said...

After examine a number of the weblog posts on your web site now, and I truly like your method of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site record and will probably be checking again soon. Pls check out my website as effectively and let me know what you think.Amazingly insightful story, if only it was as easy to implement some of the solutions as it was to scan and nod my head at each of your points ..

Cccam Server